luis figo Forum Index
luis figo the pride of portugal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   RegisterRegister   User PanelUser Panel   Log inLog in 

Portugal 3 Azerbaijan 0

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FigoSe7en[/b], ')">FigoSe7en
True Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject:  Portugal 3 Azerbaijan 0
Description:

Quote:

Portugal cruised to a comfortable win against Azerbaijan on Saturday to claim their first victory in Euro 2008 qualifying Group A.

Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo was the game's key figure, dazzling the minnows with some electric skills and scoring twice to seal the points.

Barcelona playmaker Deco was a key figure early on, having two good chances himself before setting up Ronaldo for the opener.

In the 19th minute Deco was first to meet Luis Miguel's cross but headed straight at visiting keeper Farhad Veliyev, before failing to draw a save with a 20-yard shot two minutes later.

Four minutes later he was more effective, playing in Ronaldo from the right and allowing him to convert with a clinical left-foot finish.

Then, just moments after the restart, Ronaldo nearly made it two when he took possession in the the Azerbaijan box and rattled the crossbar from a central position.

Chelsea defender Ricardo Carvalho doubled the advantage soon after when the visitors failed to properly clear their lines in the aftermath of a Ronaldo free-kick, allowing the tall centre-half to hammer home from 12 yards.

With Portugal devoting plenty of resources to attack it seemed certain that the away team would have some chances, and it was surprising to see just one first-half counter-attack, Zaur Hashymov missing the left-hand post with his 33rd minute effort.

Nuno Gomes, Maniche and Ronaldo all peppered Valieyev with shots but there was no further breach before the break.

The second half started briskly for Shakhin Diniyev's side but Leandro Gomes and Aslan Kerimov spurned presentable chances after the interval and Andre Ladaga shot high over the crossbar after 54 minutes.

Portugal, although a little becalmed, were still more clinical and Ronaldo grabbed a second in the 63rd minute when he headed home Simao Sabrosa's teasing cross from close range.

Ronaldo was withdrawn in the 73rd minute with the points assured and despite the best efforts of Benfica captain Simao, Luiz Felipe Scolari's side could not find as high a tempo without him and the game ended without further incident.

Cronaldo was on fire. He scored a great goal over the head, and the Ball was clear in the goal!!!

Great goal!

Well, he could have scored a hattrick. But no, the referee didn´t see the goal. Rolling Eyes

Great game by Portugal, but not a great team to beat. Lets see how they keep doing.

Figo is still missed for me Crying or Very sad

Get registred or enter the forums!

sig by Dano
Adv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Adv

canerfigo[/b], ')">canerfigo
inter team

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject:  Re: Portugal 3 Azerbaijan 0
Description:

im miss him so much with his 7 number Crying or Very sad Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
True Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

At least we can be happy, that the 7 is still clean.

Spain and England gave their number 7 away to someone else. That is so slack!

sig by Dano
Steph[/b], ')">Steph
captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

Who has the english number 7 now? Shocked I mean, it's not said that Beckham won't come back...

And, yea, I really hope the 7 will be protected....the 9 is already given to Hugo Almeida.
True Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

In Spain David Villa got the 7. In England. I don´t know.

And I know that Becks AND Raul still play for their Nations. So I think that move was very disrespectful towards them.

Figo... Well, it is something different. As much as I hate it. He won´t come back. Nobody can replace him, we know that. But we can´t complain if they pass on the 7 to Cronaldo *god, my heart breaks right now.*

I think they will keep the seven free till the Euro 08. Then they pass it on to Cronaldo. I guess.

Figo for Portugal was so much more than Becks for England. But Raul and Spain, is pretty much the same. He is their hero, their legend, their captain. And passing his 7 over, while he is actually still playing for Spain is just slack.

I think Aragones is an idiot doing that! Sorry, but he is.

sig by Dano
Steph[/b], ')">Steph
captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

You're absolutely right....and I only hope Scolari will save the 7 till Euro 08, that's the minimum. I really hope it and I think it's okay. All in all I'm not happy that C Ronaldo will become this number, cause I don't admire him much as a player like as a person. He plays good, but a good player has more to do than only play good. It's one of many things that a good player should do. But not the most important. And as a person C Ronaldo is far away from Figo, sorry, but it is like this. And C Ronaldo will never become like this as a personality. Sometime he will become a man, right now he's a little boy. But his personality won't change. That's what I don't like about him.
True Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject:  
Description:

Agree with you.

Playwise he is a typical winger. The perfect number 7.

But the whole packages Figo has. That is something not much players have. He is a leader. He is a reader of the game. He is an idol.

Ronaldo is very boyish. He has a temper he doesn´t control. It is more important for him how his hair looks. Or that he has shiny boots. I like his tricks. They look cool. But are they all worth it? Well... he will grow up, I know that. But he will never be Figo. Neither will Deco.

That has nothing to do with the players. It is the way Figo was. What he meant for the team and for Portugal. That is it.

It will take some time. Next summer we will have a new number 7. But even then Figos shadow will always be big enough to be rememberd!

sig by Dano
canerfigo[/b], ')">canerfigo
inter team

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

in england number 7: CARRICK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    luis figo Forum Index -> Forca Portugal All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: