luis figo Forum Index
luis figo the pride of portugal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   RegisterRegister   User PanelUser Panel   Log inLog in 

The why Portugal sucks - thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FigoSe7en[/b], ')">FigoSe7en
True Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject:  The why Portugal sucks - thread
Description:

Okay, time to take a closer look at the Portugal Nationalteam for a little while, okay? Good, here we go.

Please, I mean this very serious and I´d like to hear some of your views about this question.

Portugal ended 4th in the WC, they played good and intense football, nice tricks and moves aswell has hard tacklings. With Scolari, one of the best coaches out there, they have a tactical genius.

Yet still they struggle really hard to get a qualitfying spot for the Euro 08. I wonder for a while already why that is happening. I know that with the leaving of Pauleta and Figo two main players over the last ten years left the team. And as much as I´d like to believe that the missing of Figo is the reason why they suck, I doubt that it is.
But what is it? England, Italy, France... all struggling. But what happend? All those teams lost top qualitly players? No. Only France and Portugal. So what is it?

I remember the Euro 04 when everybody was hailing Deco and said he would be the new leader in the team and all. No offense again, he is a top player, but lets face it, he failed becoming the leader. Is that what they miss? Because I do not see a leader. They keep changing the captain around for a while now. I know that using Cronaldo makes sense since he is one of the attacking forces and famous around the world, but does he really have the qualities to lead his country at the age of 22? I do not think so.

What do you guys think? Why is Portugal sucking that bad atm?

Get registred or enter the forums!

sig by Dano
Adv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Adv

Steph[/b], ')">Steph
captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

I talked about that with Dolly some days ago, we wondered the same and tried to find the reason. I think aswell that one player, no matter how well he does, can't make the difference to how the team plays and presents itself. But I still think that there is a leader missing, someone who can motivate the team, gets along well with the teammates and is respected by them. Someone they listen to..and do what he says. I think every team needs someone like that, to be well organized on the pitch and to strengthen the team spirit also off pitch. About Cris I can just repeat myself that, at least at the moment, I dont think he can be a leader towards the team. Not yet.
But changing the captain all way, means that there is no leader in the team. For one day this one, for the other that one, actually that just means the players don't really have one contact person, and there isn't any kind of "ranking" in the team.

About Italy, I think that the retiring of Totti also makes a difference to the team. By far not as for Portugal or France, but a difference though.
True Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

Yes, I agree with what you said, changing the captain too often doesn´t make any sense and even shows the other teams that there some "disfunction" in the team. Btw, I forgot about Tottis retirement. But now that you mentioned it, it all makes more sense. Its weird how the "big" generation left a huge impact. Somehow Germany really handled it the best. Okay, Ballack is not retired, but he is injured for 5 months. And still the young ones step up and take the leading role they have to.
I do not see that with Portugal. Not Simao, not Nuno Gomes, not Deco, not Ronaldo... sure, he scores the goals and all, but I only see 11 players playing. Not a team.
Even the reaction of Scolari shows the pressure that is on Portugal atm. I really hope they get their act together and get thru, it would be a shame... Neutral

sig by Dano
icy55[/b], ')">icy55
inter team

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject:  
Description:

make a regular captain, in my opinion, should be experienced and preferably a defender.
True Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

icy55 wrote:
make a regular captain, in my opinion, should be experienced and preferably a defender.

Well, now they have a regular captain. Its Ronaldo. Sad

sig by Dano
Figo#7[/b], ')">Figo#7

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

Why haven't I noticed this thread before ?

That must be the best topic-title I've ever seen!

And, oh, it's because Ronaldo brings unlucky spirits over the team Twisted Evil LOL.

DanDeluxe[/b], ')">DanDeluxe
portugal team

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject:  
Description:

no balance.

i think now they will find some. i am not sure they have the depth in the squad already, but portugal do not miss great talents. they should just not being overlooked.

and overlooking maniche might turn out to be a big mistake, big phil.

So gehen die Deutschen! Danke Jungs!
Mirr[/b], ')">Mirr

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject:  
Description:

Figo was able the lead Portugal at the age of 22.. Rolling Eyes
Let's see if Cris can do the same...
The leader is missing, yeah but what if Figo still hold a lot contact with the boys en supports them..? Rolling Eyes
Oh I guess he will
icy55[/b], ')">icy55
inter team

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject:  
Description:

if they want a leader, i think ronaldo has little capability to motivate the rest. Because sometimes it seems like he is doing it for himself (selfish)

Find someone old.
Laughing

True Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject:  
Description:

Well I guess now its too late. They made their decision. I wonder why Scolari did not stick with Simao or Nuno Gomes... both have been captains before. But oh well.

I think Ronaldo can lead Portugal, yes. I just think that people start expecting too much from him. He played a fantastic season and they will expect the same from him now.

At United he has fantastic players around him. He plays with them every week. With Portugal they have like 2 weeks of preparation, since the team wasn´t sure before. Now they have the time to grow together as a team. Lots of new names aswell.

I think another reason Portugal somehow suck is the fact that they played with only one striker ahead. And Portugal don´t have super strikers. I hope Almeida will do good. Nuno Gomes is okay, but not in the best shape anymore.

I just hope they make it far enough to not be a dissapointment!

sig by Dano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    luis figo Forum Index -> Forca Portugal All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: